The Hunger Project’s Sarojini Naidu Prize (SNP) 2013 for best reporting on women and Panchayati Raj was given at an award ceremony at the India International Centre Annexe on October 1, 2013. This year, 44 articles from a total entry of 1,925 articles were shortlisted for the prize.
The Sarojini Naidu Prize, which includes a cash award of Rs. 2,00,000 and a citation for each journalist in the English, Hindi and Other Indian Language categories, was first awarded by The Hunger Project in 2001 and recognises journalists for their reporting on the successes and achievements of elected women Panchayat leaders at the grassroots.
Thirty-two elected women from seven states of Bihar, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Uttarakhand arrived in New Delhi to celebrate the award winning journalists. Mrs Shobhana Bhartia, Chairperson and Editorial Director, The Hindustan Times Group, was the honoured guest for the occasion.
Addressing the elected women representatives from different states, Mrs Bhartia said “Struggles remain the same for women across the country – rural or urban. It is important that women use the opportunities that are presented to them. Only then can we women move ahead to establish our rightful position in society.”
Guest of honour, Ms. Kamla Bhasin, noted feminist activist and advisor to Sangat interacted with the elected women representatives to understand their successes and challenges across the country. The air was filled with slogans, the mood was victorious and women shared their experiences of leadership, none of which had come easily. Instead, they have had to struggle and strategise at every stage.
Jury members included:
- Dr. George Mathew, President, Institute of Social Sciences, New Delhi.
- Ms. Pamela Philipose, Director, Women’s Feature Service;
- Padma Shri
- Ms. Urvashi Butalia, Director Zubaan;
- Mr. AS Panneerselvan, Executive Director Panos South Asia;
- Dr. Kumud Sharma, Chairperson, Centre for Women’s Development Studies;
- Mr. Bhim Raskar, Director Program, RSCD Maharashtra
The 2013 Prize winners are:
- English Category – Ms. Naina JA for her article “Trash to Treasure, Kadaba GP Shows the Way” (Published In Deccan Herald, 10 June, 2013)
- Hindi Category – Ms. Khasti Bisht for her article “Women Panchayat Representatives are Proving Themselves Better than their Male Counterparts”(Published In Uttar Ujala, 12 June 2013)
- Other Indian Language (Malayalam) – Mr. R. Samban for his article “Women’s Empowerment, Diversing Mofussils” (Published in Yojana Monthly Magazine, May 2013)